Friday, February 16, 2007

Here Comes the FCC Again!

Apparently the FCC is considering trying to take further control of the airwaves by regulating violent content on television.

And honestly, it's about time.

Not that I'm in favor of censorship or anything like that, but I'm aggravated and tired of a culture where it is socially unacceptable to talk about sex, but it's okay to blow 20 people's brain out. Why we are so afraid of sex and simultaneously embrace violence is beyond me. Yes, I understand it is at the core of our culture. The nation was settled by Puritans who believed in pious living, but who had to struggle to survive. That survival included hunting, gathering, killing, etc.

But come on! It's been 300-400 years. Don't you think we could move on and progress a little bit? Violence does as much damage to an individual as overexposure to sexualized images. In fact, it might do more to young children because they aren't as hypersexualized as they might be hyperactive. Violence comes out of activity. (Sure, so can sex, but at least a five year old is biologically incapable of engaging in the activity, though he can kill a pet or something if he/she so desires.)

I was just thinking last night that it's remarkable to think that 10-15 years ago, after NYPD Blue, partial nudity and language were all the rage on prime-time television. Now, I can't think of a naked butt I've seen all year during prime time. In fact, I haven't really even seen a lot of sex. Sure, part of that is because all the nudity and sex has migrated to FX with Dirt and Nip/Tuck. Nevertheless, things have been dialed back on primetime in terms of sex. However, violence is still out of control. I don't know what I think of the way the FCC has cracked down on television content, but I at least applaud them for finally desiring to exercise their authority with some consistency.

1 Comments:

At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CineGod, there's this little phenomenon I've observed in the Activists/Kyle's Moms who keep trying to clean up movies, TV, video games, etc.

Re Sex & Violence, you always find a given Kyle's Mom being for one and against the other. Pro-sex/anti-violence or Anti-sex/pro-violence; one or the other, almost never for or against both at once.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home