Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Country Music

I had the ACM awards on while I was packing tonight and just had random thoughts.  

First, country music may never be hip or cool.  It’s the equivalent of the PC.  It might not be as sexy as a Mac, but it’s not really interested in being edgy or trendy.  It just wants to do what it’s always done—make people happy.  I was reminded of this last night when I started crying watching all the vets come out during the trite Big and Rich song.  It was a moment you’d never get at any other awards show.  Every other show would be too interested in being cool to recognize the values that serve as the backbone of America.  There’s a reason why there’s a disconnect between the “red” states and “blue” states.  While I disagree with the “state” rhetoric, all you have to do is watch a country music awards show in comparison to any other awards program to see how blatant it is.  

And just how awesome is Brad Paisley?  He just seems like a very normal kind of guy.  Granted, the whole “inflatable globe” thing he had going on during the number was a huge bust, but he’s just too fun to care.

Love her a lot, but did Sara Evans hit a single note right during her performance last night on the ACM awards?  If that’s how that song goes, I think I’d have found another one to perform.  Ouch.

A member of Blink 182 playing on a country music show?  Well, I didn’t see that one coming.  

And while we’re talking about unlikely combinations, how in the world did Pete Yorn end up co-writing a song with the Dixie Chicks for their new album?  I mean, I love the guy, but he doesn’t strike me as a country music kind of guy.  But then, if John Mayer is going to play on your album, why not have Pete Yorn work on it too?

1 Comments:

At 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You wanna talk country music? My favorite topic:)

I was lucky enough to be IN VEGAS during the ACMs, staying just down the street from the MGM Grand where the awards were held. However, I was unlucky enough to be stuck in a conference till 5:30 and couldn't get out in time to get any "last minute tickets."

Thoughts on the awards show:

Brad Paisley is the man. The inflateable globes puzzled me a little, but I think there was some reference to "the world" in whatever song he opened the show with. See-it makes perfect sense (?!)

Big & Rich are generally pretty obnoxious, but bringing out all the Vets - how can you not love that?! I get annoyed that people look down on country music and its artists because as far as I can tell, they're the only artists in this whole damn country who say what real Americans think and feel. Amen, the "red state v blue state" is getting tired, but you're right. There's a huge disconnect.

Sara Evans can't hit a note or sing in the right key to save her life when she performs live. That song is all over the place, but girlfriend just can't hit it live. Little Carrie Underwood sang circles around her. I'm guessing they have to digitally clean up sister Sara's albums quite a bit, because literally EVERY live performance I've seen of hers has SUCKED. (And I've seen a lot...) Faith Hill is almost in the same camp. Almost.

The Blink 182 drummer was an odd addition to the Buck Owens tribute. I'm pretty sure he gave himself a headache doing that "head-banging" thing. Ridiculous.

The Dixie Chicks new album is not country - at least not in the same way that their previous three albums were. Those girls are so talented...its just a shame they have to be so obnoxious (and this is coming from someone who PRE-ORDERED "Taking the Long Way" on iTunes. I still love them. Can't help myself.)

Least fave part of the ACMs-Rascall Flatts and Kenny Chesney's performances.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home