Thursday, March 16, 2006

Federal Cretin Commission

I understand the FCC has a job to do, but the rulings and fines they levied yesterday were beyond ridiculous and absurd.

They cited "Without a Trace" because it depicted teenage sex in a group setting. While there was no nudity, viewers found this to be offensive. There were teenagers in various stages of undress, but again nobody was naked. I think I've seen the episode--not sure, but I'll be looking for a copy of it now to see. Sure, the show is sexual sometimes (something the creators apparently make a point of), but it's not offensive. I've been much more appalled by the horrendous quality of NCIS when I've watched it. It's definitely less sexual than some old episodes of Ally McBeal. And look at the context! It's not like these kids were having an orgy as a bunch ofbridesmaid gifts! It was supposed to be a mistake--something that they regretted.

If you read a complete copy of the finding, it's not anything worse than what you would find in a PG or PG-13 film.

And somebody explain to me how CBS and its affiliates are fined $3.6 million for this, but only $550,000 for Janet Jackson baring her breast. Does that make sense?

Furthermore, the FCC fined FOX because somebody uttered the "F word" at the 2003 Billboard Music Awards. I have no problem if they're going to enforce that, but do it across the board. I remember when Bono uttered the word on the Golden Globes, the FCC declined to fine NBC or the Hollywood Foreign Press. The complaint then alleges that "Each of these words is among the most offensive words in the English language." To whom? Are these the most offensive words in the English language to Nicole Richie? Clearly not. To most people in Hollywood? You've seen the movies, you know not. To me? Not at all. I'd much rather somebody use this than taking the Lord's name in vain, but you don't see the FCC cracking down on shows that do that, do you?

I know that the Administration is struggling in an effort to do something right, but this clearly isn't it. It's primeval, redundant, and stupid.

And I never thought I'd say this, but this week, the FCC makes the MPAA look like they know what they're doing.

2 Comments:

At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Parent's Television Council/Media Research Center are behind this. I'd bet money on it.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger cinegod said...

Oh, they're very proud of the fact they're behind it. It's on their website.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home