Friday, March 17, 2006

Coming Soon?

It's fascinating to watch TV Pilot season as it kicks into full gear in LA. Every day there's word about actors getting work, signing onto a Pilot in the hope that they will soon have a job that will run 20 years (like Law & Order). It's impossible to tell from the loglines which of these is likely to be the next Head Cases or the next Grey's Anatomy, but there's some that definitely make me want to scratch my head.

For instance:
60 Minute Man--who cares what it's about? It's a horrible title!
A Day in the Life--It's about a young couple's wedding day from the points of view of the various participants. Honestly, I don't see how this is going to be a show. What are they going to do? Have jokes about wedding reception ideas for 22 episodes?
A House Divided--There's a conflict between a Midwest farming community and the government.
Sex, Power, Love and Politics--A sitcom about Capitol Hill staffers in their 30s? With that title? Why not call it Train Wreck on Constitution? Sigh--but it does have Jane Krakowski.
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip--Aaron Sorkin's new show that looks behind the scenes of a SNL-esque show. Matthew Perry comes back to TV for it. Just not sure I'm that interested. Casting Amanda Peet in it doesn't help.
Six Degrees--Starring Erika Christensen, Jay Hernandez, Campbell Scott and Hope Davis; executive produced by JJ Abrams. It doesn't matter what this thing is about, I'm there.
Apparently, there are two pilots in contention with the working title Southern Comfort. Yet neither of them are about the same thing as the documentary a few years ago called Southern Comfort.


I don't know how good any of these will be. They might all be brilliant. They're just the ones that everytime I see them, there's something that makes me pay attention. Some are because I'm excited. Others are because--I just don't know how bad they're going to be. And for those, unfortunately, we may never know.

1 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once saw an actual Hollywood pitch sheet.

All I can say is, those pitch-session scenes on South Park were considerably toned down (and the pitches considerably less stupid) than the reality.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home