Thursday, July 28, 2005

Parking Woes

Just got my second parking ticket since being here. Lovely. For some reason, I found it highly amusing. Probably won't find it as amusing when I sit down to write the ticket, but whatever.

I also see a large amount of irony in the fact that the place I'm temping for about four weeks will spend about as much in parking as the company I worked for in DC did for my parking in my four years there. I.E., the company I worked for in DC didn't pay for parking, much at all. Less than six months of it, anyway. Of course, now they're in financial trouble. Surprise. When you overpay and have a top-heavy organization...

I also found it highly interesting today when I was reading an article from The New York Times today about Costco's business model. Apparently, their CEO is focused more on his employees and customers than on the bottom line. He is also not interested in making a quick profit, but instead wants to build a company that will be around in 50 or 60 years.

Additionally, Costco had profits last year of $882 million, yet its CEO only had an annual salary of just $350,000. Sure, he has stock that makes him very wealthy, but I think that speaks a lot about a leader's willingness to be "part" of an organization.

I'm not sure what I'm getting at here and what this has to do with parking (other than you get two hours free parking at the Pentagon Centre with a Costco receipt), but I think it's an interesting business model.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home