Friday, June 03, 2005

Seasons of Hope

Two things I saw yesterday that gave me hope/got me excited.
  1. Rent trailer. I've seen Rent twice. Once on Broadway and once in a touring production. Loved it both times-despite all the inherent contradictions between it and me. (That's a blog for another day.) I was incredibly nervous about the concept of Christopher Columbus directing the film adaptation. But yesterday, I saw the online trailer for the film. It's simply images from the film over the entire cast singing "Seasons of Love" and I have hope. It might actually work. If nothing else, everybody sounds good.
  2. September 16, 2005--that's the release date for Proof. Mark it down. This film was the number one film on my "to see" list for 2004 . Then it got delayed until this year. It'll be released in September before Miramax stops releasing stuff. Starring Gwenyth Paltrow, Anthony Hopkins, Hope Davis, and Jake Gyllenhall, this film has one of the best sources of recent years. And Paltrow has an amazing role. If the film works halfway, I'd be shocked if she didn't get an Oscar nomination for it. It's that good. Or it was both times I've seen the play.

I know I said I'd wrap up the TV season this week, but that's been pushed to next week. (Maybe tomorrow if I've got the time.) We'll start with new faces of the year.

2 Comments:

At 5:24 PM, Blogger Sarah Anne Sumpolec said...

LOVE the music for Rent. I'm such a sucker for Broadway, which is why I too get nervous when they make a movie out of a hit Broadway show. For one, it goes to that idea of where a story is supposed to be told. I'm learning to sift my ideas better - "Is this a movie or a novel?"

But Broadway is not just about the story, it's also about the synergy of the audience as well - something that doesn't occur the same way in a movie theatre. And then there's that pesky little problem of people breaking into song at regular intervals. Producers is going to be made into a movie as well (yeah, chatted with Matthew Broderick about that - ooops! did I drop that?)and I'm not sure how that one will work on the screen - I don't have high hopes for that one.

But it CAN be done well (i.e. Chicago) so I'm hoping for the best, too.

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger cinegod said...

I didn't have high hopes until I saw the trailer, and I'm just riding off the fumes at the moment. I agree with you about them being completely different media, but I'd argue that CHICAGO isn't really an example of how to make a movie musical. As much as I like the movie, it really corrupted the stage production. They're really completely different tellings of the story. For better or worse, PHANTOM OF THE OPERA is a really faithful musical version. You mention the breaking into song thing and my friend Mark once made this comment that I can't really argue with. He said something to the effect of, "If I can believe that Tobey Maguire was bit by a radioactive spider and developed the ability to gain massive strength and swing between skyscrapers, then why is it wrong to believe that somebody just randomly burst into a song?" I couldn't argue. Your comment about the audience I think is the bigger issue and I don't know how you get around that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home