Thursday, August 24, 2006

Waiting for What?

I'm a big John Mayer fan. To the point that I saw him in concert something like five times in the course of seven days. I like the guy. I think he's a really talented musician, a clever lyricist, and I truly do think he'll probably be around as a musician in twenty years.

So it pains me to say, I'm annoyed by his new song, "Waiting on the World to Change." I like the melody, and the main idea of the song. I have no problem with the concept of an anti-war song. Fine and dandy. Go for it.

The problem is that "Waiting for the World to Change" talks about Generation X's powerlessness and lamenting the fact that we have to suffer through a war. He laments the fact that the media spin all the information and that we have no control over what is shared with the public.

But the whole thing is a "woe is me song." What kind of protest song is that? If you're going to protest, protest something! Don't just celebrate your apathy and then lament the fact that you don't like the way the world is going. If you don't like it, then encourage people to do something.

One of the biggest problems of Generations X and Y is that we've been raised to be apathetic. Voter turn-out is low amongst our generation and the entrepreneurial spirit doesn't seem to be ingrained into our collective unconsciousness. We are a passive generation of whiners and this song is the perfect example of it. Instead of proposing action, Mayer simply whines and complains about how unfair things are, when he simply could encourage people to make their own world better.

I'd say that is the type of song I'm waiting for, but then I'd be just as obnoxious as the song is. So, I guess I'm thinking about how to change my world instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home