Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Egads and a half

I find this information so disturbing I don’t even know what to think.  I mean, I don’t know which role CZJ is looking to play, but she’s waaaay too young for Mama Rose and she’s too old for Gypsy Rose Lee.  Somebody explain this to me.  Granted, this is from Liz Smith, but still...

Now the rumor is out and hot that the Weinstein Company is close on the heels of director Rob Marshall for a movie version of the show about the evolution of that famous stripper - Gypsy Rose Lee - and her infamous stage mother, Rose. This incredible "best damn show I've seen in years!" (courtesy of New York Times critic Walter Kerr) opened to acclaim in 1959 with Broadway's hit-making powerhouse, Ethel Merman, in the role of Mama Rose. The Arthur Laurents "book" with Jule Styne music and Sondheim's lyrics has been revived over and over, usually successfully, with such as Angela Lansbury and Tyne Daly playing the part. Hollywood made a botch of it back in 1962 when they put the sleek Rosalind Russell in the role. (The only saving grace of this version was the delicious Natalie Wood as Gypsy.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home