Sunday, June 11, 2006

Breaking Free

So I'm a few months late to this party, but I finally got the chance to watch High School Musical this weekend. All I could think was--this is a huge phenomenon? Why? I mean, sure it's tween-friendly, but I've seen better story-telling and better acting in regional theater productions. I know the Disney Channel might not be the outlet known for its honesty and realism, but I think of the original Freaky Friday and other Disney movies that had some sincereity, originality, and charm. This just feels synthetic and absurd, particularly the little guy that played the lead. I've seen twigs that had more presence than he does. Of course, I'm not the target audience.

Skip it and rent Newsies instead if you want a Disney musical.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home