Monday, February 20, 2006

You're Going to Lose Your Audience

Within Act One circles it's been called "The Horse Whisperer" moment. It's the point in a story where something so horrendous happens that they audience doesn't want to go any further with the storyteller. They've been scarred by what's already come and they're not interested in what's coming ahead.

It's particularly dangerous when it's a character that engages in this kind of behavior. If he/she does something that is so appalling that you've lost the audience's empathy (or sympathy) for that character. While there are some stories that actually make this part of what is intriguing about the character, it's always a danger that people will just quit caring.

Sure, this is a subjective problem. Personally, I didn't have a problem with the scene of the horse being injured in The Horse Whisperer. I thought it was beautifully shot and edited and interesting. But then again, maybe I have a high tolerance for that kind of stuff. It takes a lot to lose me.

But after last night's Grey's Anatomy, I fear that the show might have lost me.

I love George. While Bailey is still my favorite character, I almost love George equally. T.R. Knight does a great job of playing his frustration, frailty, and yearning for a girl he can't get up the courage to tell her how he feels. He's not McDreamy or McSteamy, but he's McHusband material. So last night, when he finally got up the courage to tell Meredith how he felt about her and why he should be her McDreamy, in a moment of weakness, she pounced. She took complete advantage of him and used him to quash "the beast."

And I think she lost me.

Sure, it all happened as a great teaser for what's to come next week. For all I know, this might be the start of the next great couple of television, but I doubt it. She just doesn't seem to be into him and it was pretty clear from what happened in the course of last night's episode that she was in need of some kind of validation. And George was willing to give it. The writers have done such an effective job of making us care for George and his desire for the attainable that to have him used seems like a betrayal of the unwritten code.

If it were a character other than Meredith, we might be able to go there with them. She is the weakest of the characters. Partly because she's had a run of really bad luck since the program began, but partially because the other characters just seem to have more depth than her. Maybe this is the way for the writing team to really get into something with her and make us understand and care for her more. But if that's the attempt, it better happen quickly because the moment that George becomes my crushed, my newfound admiration for this show could deflate even faster.

So I'm waiting and nervous about next Sunday night.

1 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't see last Sunday's ep (was in my sister's car en route to Charleston, SC) but I heard all about it from my husband. I told him he HAD to watch it for us and give us the scoop. When we heard about the Meredith/George hookup, our reaction was the same. "NUH UH!"

I truly hope this is part of a new arc for Meredith, or heck, SOME arc for Meredith. You're correct in that she is the most shallow, least interesting and least sympathetic character on the show. Everyone has changed, compromised, and grown but her. Even though the show's title bears Meredith's name and she's the one tasked with those annoying voice-overs, she is the least compelling character and the supporting cast MAKES this show.

Meredith has been a victim since day 1; everything is about HER and how rough her life is. I nearly lunged at the TV during her "poor me" speech at the beginning of the Super Bowl episode. "She (Addison) has MY McDreamy. She has MY McDog. She's living MY McLife."

OH GET OVER YOURSELF. I haven't quite been rooting against her, but I have been rooting for her to have a "grow up" moment. Where she realizes that loss is part of life and it makes you a better person. In fact, my writing partner pointed out to me, "YOU should write that script."

So maybe its up to you and me to write spec scripts where Meredith has her "aha" moment and realizes that the world does not revolve around her. I kinda thought her being the "Girl holding the bomb" and getting hit with a wall of "pink mist" would mark some kind of change in her character, but all it did was set her up to take advantage of poor George.

Come on, Shonda Rhimes! Get with it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home