Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Best 10 (11) Moments of Last Season

Here are the 10 (actually 11) highlights of last year's television season for me.

10). (tie)--"Luke, will you marry me?" (Gilmore Girls) and finding out Ava's whole history (Nip/Tuck)--the two moments couldn't be more unalike, but for some reason, they just sort of grabbed me in the same way
9). Jack meeting his dad (Jack and Bobby)--An emotionally withdrawn character who does something unexpected and faces up to his emotional needs. The stuff of great drama. Brought me to tears.
8). Ephram finding out about his son (Everwood)--Andy keeping his actions from his son, only to have Ephram find out, which in turns sends him down a path that will destroy everything he's worked for--big, moving stuff. Powerful indeed.
7). The plane crash (Lost)--I've seen many action movies that weren't this exciting. JJ Abrams strikes again.
6). Bobby coming back to visit Andy (NYPD Blue)--This was a beautiful moment in a show that will be missed. Bobby "came back" to Andy to give him advice from the great beyond. This one brought me to tears too.
5). Emily breaking down in tears after her date (Gilmore Girls)--Excitement, joy, pain, regret--all in one shot. No character had a better moment all year than this Kelly Bishop did here (though Bree polishing the silver and finding out about her husband's death in the DH season finale was close). This is the stuff that transcends a page and works because of the acting, directing, and writing.
4). Boone's death (Lost)--Sure, we knew it was coming the week before, but it didn't make the loss any less profound or difficult to reconcile. And of course, this one brought me to tears.
3). "I'm not Michael Vaughan." (Alias)-- NO WAY! My jaw still has scars from hitting the floor.
2). "It's a cross. Across from where?" (Arrested Development)--This line brought me to tears too, but because I was laughing so hard. I don't know why this stuck with me more than anything the show did this year, but I just can't get over it. I've laughed so hard at this over and over and over. It's great stuff.
1). Mowing the yard in a cocktail dress (Desperate Housewives)--Nothing else was as audacious as this moment all year, though Lynette wandering into the pool after her kids was close. It also announced the arrival of Eva Longoria who is definitely one of the breakout stars of the season. This moment set the tone for the show beautifully and made it pretty clear this wasn't going to be your typical soap opera.

I feel wrong not getting something from 24 in here, as well as leaving out Harold's talk with God in the season finale of Everwood, or Judith's death on Joan, but there's only ten slots.

3 Comments:

At 4:33 AM, Blogger The Marinara said...

Leave it to you to leave off Tony Wonder on Arrested Development

 
At 5:41 AM, Blogger Royale said...

I'm down with your assessment of the Lost plane crash. It was beautifully done. It's second only to the spaceship crash in "Pitch Black."

 
At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BRAVO on an amazing list, man.

My fave line of the season was courtesy of Mrs Veal: "Take me...take me to your secular world."

Having been at Bob Jones Univ. from 6th grade to my junior year of college, you can imagine why the Veals are all too real to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home