Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Adventures of a Volunteer

So I've been volunteering this week and last with the Los Angeles Film Festival. Tonight, I was in the "Target Red Room" i.e. filmmaker's lounge. For the first three hours, all I did was stand outside on the patio and make sure that the six or seven people out there didn't exit the wrong way. Incredibly boring, but whatever.

Actually the whatever is that the Red Room is in West Hollywood, directly underneath a gym. (For those of you who don't know, West Hollywood is the LA equivalent of Dupont Circle.) And I'll be the first to say that sometimes I do get a little wrapped up in body image and whatnot. Well, tonight was one of those nights. Almost every single guy that walked past me on the sidewalk had on a sleeveless shirt and arms that were the size of my head. It's really sad that it was only after an actor, who was just recently on the cover of TV Guide as one of prime-time's sexiest men, passed me, that I started to feel normal again.

So then, I finally get to leave the smoking patio and go into the lounge and do odds and ends work. I didn't think I was doing anything crazy, but apparently, according to someone, I am the hardest working volunteer at the festival. Now, I got this guy's name, but I have no clue what he really does, but I know he has to be important because he was dressed nicely in a blazer. So I've got to figure out who he is. Then, the person who I was reporting to asked if there was anyway I could come back and work Thursday or Friday. I told her I'd try.

SCORE! Finally, my great work attitude might get me somewhere out here. (Of course, I've already retreated into my Ally McBeal world where the festival/FIND staff is so impressed with me that they insist on me joining the staff of Film Independent. Begrudgingly, out of my commitment to indie film--and not the fact that I'm unemployed--I accept. I like that fantasy. I think I'll go to bed and dwell on that a while.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home