Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Don't You

I have great friends. Most of them are the people who read this blog, so they know they're great and that I appreciate them. Not that I've ever taken them for granted, but I just assumed everybody had close friendships. I've realized--not so.

At the beginning of this week, I got into a potential snafu with a friend from college. Things turned out to be fairly un-snaffuey, but in relating this to one of my friends out here this week, the comment was made--"You're still close to that many of your college friends? That's weird."

It's weird? How so? Granted, many of them I sort of left after graduating. They were doing their thing while I was doing graduate school. Even after graduate school, I had limited contact with many of them until I moved to DC, which is where many of them were based or were close to.

But still, now, even though I'm on the opposite side of the country, I still keep in touch. In fact, just today, I've already heard from five or six of them today and might still hear from another. Why? Because I care about them.

Sure, there are friends I had when in college that I don't care as much about and I'm not going to keep up with them, but at the same time, I discovered the moment that I really got to know my Freshman roommate, I was blessed with extraordinary people in my life. I spent years sharing in their triumphs, excitements, falls, nude study sessions and scheming. Why would I not want to continue to hear about their kids, spouses, jobs, etc.? I still feel incredibly guilty about the fact that I was unable to fly back across the country last month to the wedding of one of my college friends.

So what's my point? I think my point is that friendships are blessings that God gives us. But like any other blessing, it's not meant to just sit there. If we don't nurture them and care for them, then they wither. But as a steward, I want to see my blessings grow, multiply, and enrich my life.

When it comes to my friendships, they most assuredly do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home