Friday, December 09, 2005

The Greatness of Ang Lee

Let me count the reasons why I adore Ang Lee’s films:
  1. The Ice Storm

  2. Sense and Sensibility

  3. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

  4. Ride With the Devil

  5. Hulk

  6. Eat Drink Man Woman

  7. The Wedding Banquet
And now:  Brokeback Mountain

Subtlety, repression, manners, and love.  These are the things that make good drama.  These are Lee’s best points.  They’re all brought to the forefront in Heath Ledger’s bravura performance in Brokeback Mountain.  There’s a lot to digest in this film and after having just seen it, I don’t want to snap to anything too quickly, but, in sorting these out, there’s no doubt that this is “an Ang Lee film.”

2 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you liked the movie hulk?? im no expert on movies but i absolutely hated that one. it was one of the few movies that put me to sleep.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger cinegod said...

I totally dug it. I understand why people didn't, and I'm not saying it's not flawed, but I still think it's one of the best comic book movies ever. Right up there with AMERICAN SPLENDOR and BATMAN BEGINS. I'd rather watch it any day over FANTASTIC FOUR.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home