Monday, October 03, 2005

Poker Face

I’m starting to realize that it’s a good thing I don’t gamble because apparently, I don’t have a good poker face. I’ve been told this more than once during the last six months. I honestly don’t know that I believe it. I think when I try to be stoic, I come off as pretty blank. At least I feel like I come off as blank, but maybe not. Nevertheless, it’s on the list of things that I’m watching and trying to correct about myself.

Friday night, I went to a screening of Good Night, and Good Luck, about Edward R. Murrow’s role in bringing down McCarthy starring David Strathairn, George Clooney, Patricia Clarkson, Jeff Daniels, Robert Downey Jr., and Frank Langella. The theater was kind of crowded and since I was “working” or at least felt the need to be ready if I was needed, I just hung out and stood in the back of the theater.

The film was moving along at a quick clop. About an hour into the film, the door opened and the film’s director walked in. The publicist for Warner Independent tried to usher him to the seat they’d saved for him, but he waved them off and decided he’d stand. So he did—right beside me!

I have never been so self-conscious my reactions in my life. At one point, I chuckled at something and he looked in my direction. Thinking to myself—Am I not supposed to be laughing at this? It was clever. So I stood there beside this guy for thirty minutes, trying to continue enjoying the movie, but fearful that I was going to be given another look. Mentally, I’m thinking that I have two things working for me. First, I was actually liking the movie. Second, it was dark, so if I made a strange face, I don’t think he was gonna be able to watch me.

As soon as the credits started, the director and his co-writer went up and did a Q&A, so I didn’t have the opportunity to tell him I enjoyed the film, but hopefully my body language gave that off. Frankly, I’m not sure how, but this is what I’ve obsessed over all weekend.

I think this place is making me really neurotic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home