Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Listening vs. Seeing

I've always heard about how people who listened to the JFK/Nixon debates on the radio had a different impression of the two men compared to those who watched the debates on TV. While I understand the impact of those two media, I'd never really experientially encountered something that forced my hand, allowing me to realize how it actually worked.

Until last night. Being on the West Coast, the State of the Union (as is the same with apparently all Presidential broadcasts) is shown live. So I was on my way from work. No way I was going to be able to get there in time to see the whole thing, so I turned over to a talk/news radio station and listened to the President address the country.

And what a weird thing it was. Granted, I didn't hear the entire speech, just over half of it, but to me, it seemed like the rhythms were off, the punch wasn't there and it just sat there. But, I don't think that was the speech. I think that was me. My reaction was off. I couldn't make anything of it. I was less engaged. I was less interested. I was using fewer of my senses than normal when watching this annual affair, and as a result, I could've cared less. Even if I'd been home, I probably would've been surfing the Net, reading, cleaning, cooking, or doing something else with my eyes, but not being able to occassionally look at something (other than the highway). Says a lot about the power of the visual.

1 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was watching it live and had the same reaction, but that's because there wasn't anything THERE. It was a weak speech b/c right now, he's a weak President. I think the only potentially earth-shaking moment was, "America is addicted to oil" (a TEXAN saying this...a man who was IN the oil business) and then the plan to cut our dependence on Middle East oil by 75% by 2025.
His delivery was good visually...he looked strong, upbeat. I think EVERY SOTU is hindered by the fact that everyone in the Pres's party feels the need to applaud and give a standing ovation after every sentence. Kinda hard to get a rhythm going. My fave moment was when he acknowledged Justices Roberts and Alito. I was hoping the camera would cut to John Kerry or Ted Kennedy. Those Mass. boys gotta lay off the crack pipe. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home