Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Vengeance & Grief

"Vengeance is a lazy form of grief." After seeing The Interpreter this weekend, this is the line that stuck out the most when the entire film was over. Despite an incredibly effective second-act sequence that would have made Hitchcock proud, this is what I have dwelt on for three days when thinking about the movie. (In addition to my constant thoughts of just how beautiful Kidman actually is.) In the film, Kidman talks about African culture and tribal views regarding solace and misery and makes this comment to Sean Penn's character.

At the time, it struck me as one of those lines in a screenplay that makes things seem more intelligent than they may actually be. That's what I assumed this would be--a statement that sounded great, but rang a little hollow when you start looking at it. I've realized that's just the opposite.

Acceptance, forgiveness, servitude--they can all be really hard. The reason is because they all revolve around a sense of self instead of a focus on others. We want to experience revenge and retribution when we are harmed because it's way too easy for people to concentrate on ourselves and our own personal desires. As a result, we rarely look beyond ourselves to recognize what our forgiveness means to others--how our refusal to revenge helps other grow, experience life more intensely and more fully.

I'm not sure where all these thoughts are going, but I'm sure I didn't expect to think about this when I got in line for a "political thriller." Go figure.

3 Comments:

At 6:08 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

very true - its easy to seek out a scapegoat or a target for your anger, but its hard to gaze into your own dark soul and deal with the cosequences

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Sarah Anne Sumpolec said...

I too pondered this line and the fascinating story about how the murderer is bound and thrown into the water and the victim's family is left with the choice.

I love movies that make me ponder and wonder...and think about how our culture's ideas of relative truth will destroy any real sense of community in us all.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger mermer said...

OK, so this comment comes two years after your post date, but I just watched the movie a week ago and google'd that exact quote, and I had the exact same reaction! great minds do think alike! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home